Elected Positions, as defined by the bylaws, are as follows: Team Coordinator, Assistant
Team Coordinator, Secretary, Treasurer, Science Coordinator, Training Coordinator,
and Dive Coordinator. These positions constitute the Executive Committee.
The bylaws allow for creation of other positions as required in the normal course of business.
These positions currently are: Grants Coordinator, Publicity/Speaker Coordinator, Newsletter Editor,
Special Events Coordinator, Database Manager, Membership Coordinator, Web Coordinator, Fish ID Leader, Invert ID Leader,
Photography Leader, Videography Leader, Mapping/Physical Data Leader, and Report Leader.
Chain of Command:
Oversight for the elected and appointed positions is as follows:
The Team Coordinator shall oversee the functions of:
- Assistant Coordinator
- Training Coordinator
- Dive Coordinator
- Grants Coordinator
- Publicity/Speaker Coordinator
- Newsletter Editor
- Special Events Coordinator
- Web Coordinator
The Assistant Coordinator shall oversee the functions of:
- Science Coordinator
- Database Manager
- Membership Coordinator
The Science Coordinator shall oversee the functions of:
- Fish ID Leader
- Invert ID Leader
- Photography Leader
- Videography Leader
- Mapping/Physical Data Leader
- Report Leader
Duties of the elected positions are delineated in the Bylaws, Article IV. (Left menu).
Duties of the current appointed positions shall be as follows:
Publicity/Speaker Coordinator :
- Ensure that Team meetings and events receive regular
in local newspapers, magazines and calendars.
- Schedule speakers for the monthly meetings in coordination with the Team Coordinator.
Grants Coordinator :
- Pursue outside sources of funding for team projects,
activities and equipment in cooperation with the Executive Committee
- Coordinate maintenance of donations with Treasurer
Special Events Coordinator:
- Inform the Executive Committee and/or Team Coordinator
of events that are appropriate for Team participation
- Oversee coordination and logistics of Team participation in selected events
- Propose and schedule fun events for the Team
- Develop, maintain and update the Team's web site.
- Facilitate others uploading information to the site.
Newsletter Editor :
- Gather all relevant Team information and compile it into each month's newsletter.
- Ensure that copies are e-mailed to members and are available at meetings.
- Maintain a complete database of present and past member's
contact, dive, and Team Certification data.
- Keep the Executive Committee informed as to the status of
members dues and proficiency testing.
Fish Identification Leader:
- Manage fish identification (ID) training, review, and testing.
- Administer the fish identification test at least every two months or as needed.
- Conduct fish review sessions at meetings or other designated dates.
- Coordinate and assign duties to fish ID members on team dives.
- Maintain and organize Team fish slides.
- Maintain (in coordination with the Invert ID Leader) custody of Team slide projectors.
- Coordinate with the Photography Leader to obtain needed fish slides for training
and review new slides to determine suitability for needs.
- Ensure that waterproof fish ID forms are available for team dives.
- Assign monitoring stations and explain procedures to trainees.
- After dives, follow up with fish ID team members on data entry.
Invert Identification Leader:
- Manage invertebrate/coral identification (ID) training and reviews.
- Coordinate with Photography/Videography Leader on dives for invertebrate sampling.
- Maintain and organize Team invertebrate slides.
- Maintain (in coordination with the Fish ID Leader) custody of Team slide projectors.
- Coordinate with the Photography Leader to obtain needed invertebrate slides
training and review new slides to determine suitability for needs.
- Organize and oversee the advanced invertebrate/coral identification class in coordination
with the Training Coordinator, including determining how training will be done, which
invertebrates are covered, who provides the training and prepare all training materials.
- Conduct invertebrate ID and sampling methods review sessions at meetings or other designated
- Review slides taken from each dive for suitability for analyses and coordinate with
invertebrate ID Team members for slide analyses.
- Follow up with invertebrate ID team members on data entry.
- Ensure that on every team dive data on weather, including air temperature, wind speed
and direction and general conditions (e.g., partly cloudy) is recorded for each dive.
Physical data on the water column is also to be collected for each dive and includes:
wave height, water temperature at surface, temperature at depth, note any thermoclines,
current speed and direction, and visibility at surface and at depth.
- Ensure that mapping of new site locations is completed on the team's dive sites.
- Ensure physical and mapping data collected is recorded into
the Team database.
- Assist with leading dive team to reef locations and appropriate benchmarks.
- Ensure that benchmarks are prepared for the various sites as needed.
- Ensure that benchmarks placed on reefs are located and
cleaned off on every team dive to
that particular reef.
- Install/Repair/Replace benchmarks on the artificial reefs for fishcount and
invertebrate photo-sampling locations as needed.
- Ensure that mapping equipment (i.e., underwater tape-measure reels, GPS unit, etc.)
maintained and repaired/replaced as needed.
- Obtain GPS coordinates for the reel location, and in order to facilitate mapping
and corroborate our underwater measurements, attempt to obtain latitude and longitude
values for benchmarks
or prominent features of the reef.
- Assist in new research diver training with regards to mapping (e.g.,
mapping techniques and command signals on the tape measure when mapping partner out of view).
- Develop, maintain, and update the database so that all Team data needs are met.
- Ensure that database integrity and safety are maintained at all times.
- Review data for quality and correct as needed.
- Create all programs and queries for data needs.